In 2010 we got a diagnosis of ulcerative colitis for our son Isaac who was then 27 months old. For a year and a half we had been concerned about his persistent soft stools. Now that we're going down the road of living with IBD in our house, we want to be able to share our story, connect with similar families or individuals, and increase our awareness of the experience of others.

Some of our related interests are diet, kids and families with IBD, and discussing and sharing experiences.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

UC

Diagnosis: ulcerative colitis. Did you know its incidence is around 3 in one million for his age group? So he is one of the about 15 kiddos here in Houston with similar conditions. Actually, they have a center here for families with kids with IBD. That's nice. I think we'll get involved.

The doctor is hopeful, and so are we, that he will respond positively to an anti-inflammatory medication he will presumably take for the rest of his life. We'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Troy, intersetingly enough my baby has a disorder call FPIE which stands for food protein induced intercolitis sydrome. It essentially means that he can't digest properly the protein in food. So this leads to lots of burping up, weird poop and grumpiness. I thought he just had bad reflux like my first daughter and maybe couldn't tolerate milk (I nurse him). Then when he was 8 months old I fed him some soy formula and he began to vomit repeatedly and ended up in the ER. We were sent to an allergist but it isn't an considered an allergy. He literally cannot tolerate about 90% of foods. He is almost a year now and I'm starting to panic as to what I am going to feed the little guy. He is suppose to be on a hypoallergenic formula but I can't get him to take it at all. It is completely disgusting tasting. The good news is that kids grow out of it at 3 or 4. So anyway, I feel your pain. It is a very stressful and helpless feeling. Good luck figuring things out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frazier, I'm glad to hear from you. Our boy has cousins who had something like Celiac Disease. It reminds me of your story. In their case, if they had known, they could have continued breastfeeding (if I recall correctly) so long as Mom adhered to the allergy-sensitive diet.

    They got considerably better over the years, especially when a) they moved to an arid climate with presumably much better air than where they were living when the kiddos were very young, and b) they started with colonics. Their experience really helped in our decision to try that with Isaac.

    ReplyDelete